Wednesday, June 1, 2011

CRINOLINE...

I would be lying if I said I am starting all of the detailed things today. Over the past two days I have been working on a few projects. I have to share and teach you so you can do it too! I really only say this because I learned how to do these on the internet, so now I have to contribute to the community by putting my tutorial on the web too!

Here I go...

Crinoline:

I bought the dye from Jo-Ann's. Goodness, I love that place. The dyes were different than what I researched. I looked into RIT and Dylon, but both had me hesitant since I constantly heard that the polyester/nylon fabrics didn't hold the dye well. Also, I really wanted to do it in my washer machine since I do not have a stainless steel sink and my bath tub is an antique and, well, I am not comfortable with discoloring it at the moment. So I wanted something that could be used in my washing machine.

Well, guess what? The brand has dye that dyes polyester! And has printed instructions for the washer machine! Yep. Seriously. See?



So I bought one poly dye and one just regular dye for natural fibers, both in a nice rich yellow color (by the way, iDye has a nice variety of colors, just like RIT). From there I went to my moms (she lives out of town, which means I go there for an over-night trip) where I did a little research and then changed my mind. According to the iDye website, the most effective way of dying polyester is to use the stovetop. Great. I need to cook this slip like spaghetti. Thus, I discussed the situation with my mom, she filled a few pots with water and we started the task.


We didn't have a pot big enough, and I didn't want to render any pot "unusable" after I soiled it with dye, so we took the very hot water and filled my mom's laundry sink with it. I put both packets of dye into the hot water, shoved my slip into the hot, yellow mess, and the let it dye!


The instructions said 30 minutes to 1 hour for letting the dye set. I decided on 1 1/2 hours. I really wanted a yellow crinoline! I made sure to give the sink a nice stir every 15 minutes (with gloves and long sticks since the water stayed really hot the whole time!). Here it was after that nice, long bath.


Once done, I threw the slip into the washer machine with some Woollite and gentle cycle. My mom then hung the crinoline to let it dry, I was sleeping during that task. And, well, this is what I woke up to!:



Overall, I love the slip, the color is PERFECT and it looks fun under my dress. :)

1 comment:

happytrails said...

I used that same type of dye to color a white polyester skirt deep purple for one of my daughter's costumes for White Christmas. It worked great and I did the exact same process as you did. It was fun. I used the simialr product for cotton to tye-dye baby onesies for Autumn. Fun and fairly easy.